1/72 Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk 2 – Build Log

9th July 2014

Another productive few days on the Vulcan…

After a few minor fettles I got the canopy masked and the first coat of primer on her.

1

 

 

As expected this showed up a few blemishes that needed to be sorted out, but overall it was better than I expected.

Here’s a mis-scribe on the port wing…

2

 

 

And the wheel well panel lines are a bit soft and will need a bit of re-scribing to sharpen them up.

3a

 

 

The scoops underneath will need some PPP (Perfect Plastic Putty) running around their bases to blend them in…

4

 

 

And the worst bit, the sides of the fuselage nose section have great big flat spots on them where I over zealously sanded the seams on them.

I’m pretty sure this naff sanding goes back about 8 years when I originally started the kit, well that’s my excuse anyway 😉

5

 

I could either build up the flat spot with filler or styrene sheet, or I can sand the high spots down to re-introduce the curve.

I’m going to sand it down.

Here I’ve scribbled pencil over the affected area to act as a visual guide as to where I’ve sanded and where I haven’t.

6

 

 

Using a coarse Flory sanding stick I gave the high spots a good sanding.

BTW I’m using a stick rather than a sponge because I want to change the shape of the nose section. If I used a sanding sponge here I’d just be preserving the flat spot.

You can see the pencil marks in the centre of where I sanded, I don’t want this area to go any lower.

It’s worth remembering to re-scribe as you sand here. If you re-scribe as you go you can simply follow the existing panel lines. If you obliterate the panel lines completely you will need to put the panel lines back in using scribing guides which takes much longer.

7

 

 

After doing the same on the other side (not so bad on the starboard side) the area was smoothed over with a sanding sponge and then through the grits up to a white polisher.

After this I re-painted the nose section and found that I still had a bit more sanding to do. In all it took 3 goes at sanding and priming before I got rid of the flat spot enough so as not to notice.

8

 

 

There’s a few areas to fettle back up near the intakes. I sanded the intake fences down so that they looked a bit more in scale. Didn’t notice that I’d scarred the wing root in doing so.

9

 

 

And here we are after blending them in with a sanding stick.

Note the white dot which is some PPP filling in a sink mark that I hadn’t noticed before.

10

 

 

And moving back underneath, the intakes and scoops have been run around with PPP. This was simply a case of spreading PPP around each scoop with a spatula, and then wiping it off before it dries with a moist cotton bud. I had to do them one at a time because it’s so hot here at the moment the PPP was drying in super quick time.

11

 

 

And finally from a structural point of view I opened up the middle two engines to accept acrylic rods. Definitely looks better than having the rods in the outer engines.

12

 

 

Now we’re onto the painting for real 😀

Here’s the top pre-shaded with Tamiya Flat Black (XF-1). It looks a bit like a street map of Milton Keynes at the moment, but that lot is going to get heavily knocked back when the top coat goes on. My philosophy on pre-shading is that you might as well slap it on because you can always cover it up later. It doesn’t matter how grid-like it looks at this stage, when it’s finished you’ll hopefully not even know it’s there.

13

 

 

The primer I used was some old Tamiya J.N.Grey (XF-12) that I’d mixed with 10% flat white for my USS Enterprise build. I’ve been trying to get rid of the stuff for ages because it’s a greeny grey that doesn’t really fit in with the genre I tend to build in.

The underside is goign to be white for this one, because of this I gave the underside a coat of Flat White before pre-shading. I didn’t want the white coat to go straight over JN Grey in case the green showed through.

14

 

So with the primer and pre-shading done, next job is the to coat *woot* 😀

Thanks for visiting!

I write this blog for fun, to share what I've learned, and to share my builds with you. If you like what you see here please leave a comment, and head over to facebook and like my page!

Cheers - Rich



6 comments on “1/72 Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk 2 – Build Log
  1. James says:

    I’m about to start his model and I’m going to scribe the panel lines – how did you remove the raised panel lines?

    Great article and pics btw

    • Richard says:

      Cheers James… I sanded the panel lines down using a Flory Skinny Stick – FMS008 X12 Fine Skinny Sticks on this page http://www.florymodels.co.uk/skinny-sticks/ but you could use any fine sanding stick. The trick is to work one line at a time, sand them down until they are barely visible (but not erased altogether) then re-scribe them in using the remnants of the original line as a guide.

  2. Mark cannon says:

    Wow mate fantastic just read Vulcan 607 by Roland white and I’m terribly jealous! Would love to take the build on as I love the plane since seeing its final display at southport but all that scribing and sanding puts me right off as I’m currently struggling with eduards su 27b and another tough build would put me into therapy!

    • Richard says:

      Cheers Mark 🙂 Vulcan 607 is a great read! The Airfix kit does need some stamina to complete it, but the end result is worth it. Just so long as you can avoid the ensuing mental trauma. Good luck with the Su27 build!

  3. David Wahnish says:

    I may only be an ignorant Yank, but I have always loved the Vulcan since I saw Thunderball as a boy, and I know a big beautiful bird when I see one ;).

    Jolly good show Richard!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*