5th July 2014
After reviving the Vulcan build last week and electing to go “wheels up”, suddenly the build seemed much simpler and I could see the finishing line. I know, wheels up or down is a pretty minor change but I think it shifted my perception of the amount of work remaining. Whatever the trick-cyclery it seems to have worked and things have moved apace…
Here’s a photo of the right hand wing having been filled, sanded and re-scribed. Since then I’ve also done the same for the left hand wing.
With the heavy work done it was time to attach the canopy (or roof is probably more accurate for a Vulcan).
I used the usual PVA to attach it, clearing up any excess with a damp cotton bud. Here’s the trusty Expo clamps being used in anger for the first time. Well perhaps not anger, but with implied anger if they should ping off. Which they didn’t.
The above canopy fixing was all for nothing as for some reason while I was re-scribing the nose the canopy came loose and peeled away from the body. Seeing as so much of the canopy is going to end up painted I chose to re-attach it using Mr Cement S.
Here’s a shot of the re-attached canopy complete with re-scribed nose. The masking tape is there to protect a small area of raised detail that I don’t want to obliterate…
Just the tail cone left to re-scribe and we’re done (done re-scribing).
One thing I have learned (the hard way and several times) is that when you’re re-scribing tight curves it’s worth taking the time to “mask” the area with Dymo tape. Trying to manually hold a scribing guide with one hand while scribing with the other inevitably leads to slipping and the time it takes to repair is far greater than the time it would have taken to set yourself up properly in the first place.
So for this awkward area of the tail cone I’ve taken a few minutes to set up some Dymo tape scribing guides.
And the end result is nice sharp corners. It wouldn’t have looked like this if I had tried to rush it…
So with the scribing complete (excuse me while I take a moment…. Ok I’m good now *sob*) it’s time to start fine tuning the surfaces before thinking about primer.
Here I’ve added a few blobs of Mr Surfacer 500 (dark grey blotches), these are to cover any mis-scribes and scribing over-runs where you overshoot a line when scribing.
BTW I’ve found that for shallow mis-scribes and over-shoots the easiest way to get rid of them is to scrape them with a blade and then sand over it. The desired line can be re-scribed if it ends up a bit shallow afterwards.
For the in flight display I’m going to have the Vulcan “flying” on some acrylic rods. Measuring the engine holes they came in at around 9.5mm. As it happens this corresponds to 3/8 inch in old money so I ordered a set of acrylic rods from a nice chap in Canada.
They were a little oversize for the holes so it took a bit of filing to get them to fit.
But I reckon they’ll look pretty good when installed. I intend to get an Oak base and bend the acrylic rods to fit into it with the Vulcan at an impossible (for a lesser heavy bomber) angle of attack.
To be honest I’m not sure I like the rods in the outer engines so I will probably file out the inner engines and see how the rods look in them instead.
So from here I need to finish going over the bodywork sorting any minor defects, finish off fettling the intakes, mask the canopy and then onto some primer.