30th July 2014
Work continues on the Vulcan – this is a great kit if you like doing bodywork!
Last time I’d managed to get the decaling finished, next job was to look at final touch ups and getting her clear coated ready for paint.
Before doing any more paint touch ups I wanted to get a good few coats of Klear over the decals to protect them against scratching while handling the model.
Before Klear coating I noticed a few water marks left over from the Micro Sol decal setting solution. I’ve never had this problem with Micro Sol before so didn’t pay too much attention to it. There were a few patches on the wings that I easily removed with a moistened piece of paper kitchen towel.
However I didn’t give the tail a go over with the Mk.1 eyeball and this is how it ended up :'(
Same on the starboard side – really heavy water marks sealed under a coat of Klear.
I don’t know what caused the water marks (I’d be open to suggestions if any of you guys have any ideas???), I’ve never had this with Micro Sol before.
All I can think of is that one of the types of decal has some sort of coating that got released by the Micro Sol and ran off to cause the residue. In that case it was either the Airfix decals, the Model Decal decals or the Xtradecals.
Anyway no use crying about it 😉
I gave the affected areas a gentle sand with 3600 grit MicroMesh which did the trick nicely. Although I did inevitably go through the paint on a few raised bits so will need a few touch ups.
Here’s the starboard side after MicroMeshing…
And the same for the Port side.
After this I gave it another Klear coat and the water marks came back, though nowhere near so badly. Another mild MicroMeshing and another Klear coat got it sorted.
With everything safely protected by a few coats of Klear it was time to do those final paint touch ups and also to paint in some antennas that I hadn’t noticed until flicking through a few reference photos.
Near the tail is a communication antenna of some sort, and the forward one on the spine is a VHF antenna.
Here they are masked off ready for paint.
I gave them a thin coat of Tamiya Dark Yellow (XF-60). Not too thick so as to allow the base colour to show through a bit and create a bit of texture.
Once dry I added a few blotches of Tamiya Buff (XF-57) to create a bit of weathering.
And here’s the antennas ready to be Klear coated.
After a few more coats of Klear (must be about 6 or 7 coats by now) we’re ready for one of my favourite bits – a coat of uncle Phil’s magic wash 😀
Here’s the upper side which has had a good coat of Flory Dark Dirt wash, followed by a bit of random Flory Black wash. (I mean the application was random not the wash ;).
And for the underside a coat of Flory Grime wash with a bit of added Dark Dirt.
The underside wants to be a lighter wash as it’s over white paint.
Once dried (after about 5 minutes in this heat) the wash was removed with a dry paper towel and she’s starting to look a bit grubbier now.
At this stage I started to struggle with the washes a bit. Not that there is anything wrong with the washes, it’s just that on such as huge surface area the washes can’t simply be rubbed off to reveal dark panel lines and a bit of weathering, it’s more of an artform and I’m finding I really need to take my time with removing a bit of wash, live with it for a bit, look at it with fresh eyes, rinse and repeat until satisfied with the end result.
It took about 5 days of doing little bits and leaving it until I was happy to call it done. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t spend 5 days on it, more like 5 x 15 minute sessions having a dabble and leaving it.
The photo below shows the progress about half way through the process. Since this she’s got a bit less grubby and I’m happy with the end result 😀
On the upper side I felt the black wash was a mistake to use on these colours as the panel lines look like they are on a cartoon aeroplane.
These are definitely going to need toning down a bit 😉
I went back over the upper panel lines with a Grime wash…
But on removing a bit after it had dried it looked way too brown so I went back over it with Dark Dirt (You know what, you can’t go wrong with Flory Dark Dirt wash – great for all kinds of colour schemes and all genres of modelling, also great for Bar Mitzvahs and weddings and said to guard against ugly children and halitosis!) 😉
I was much happier with the panel lines this time. Maybe a little bit pronounced but with subsequent weathering and when viewed as a whole they should blend in quite nicely…
Next update: More weathering with chalk pastels and some AK washes I got for my birthday. Then another several coats of Klear no doubt 😉