1/72 Airfix Handley Page Victor B.Mk.2(BS) – Build Log

8th January 2016 2017

For one reason or another I didn’t get any bench time over the Christmas break, I had all intentions of hitting into the Victor but what with one thing and another it just didn’t happen.

Anyway, here we are in 2017 and I’ve found my way to the modelling bench once more and the Victor build is ripping along…

 

First job of 2017 – to get the horizontal stabiliser assembly attached.

No dramas here, the fit was near perfect and very positive.

 

 

 

Next up is a small fairing on the inner edge of the intakes. This part isn’t all that well moulded so there is a bit of a seam that will need to be sorted out later. I’m tempted to fix this seam by sawing down it with a junior hacksaw blade and gluing in a strip of 1mm styrene sheet, it might be quicker and cleaner in the long run than trying to use filler. Will have to wait and see on that one.

 

 

 

Now I know what you’re probably thinking… This kit could do with a bit more wing span, it’s just not wide enough. Don’t fear, the next job is to make the already impressive wingspan even more impressive.

The wingtip assembly is a bit odd in that a large part of it is provided as a clear part. I’m not sure why they decided to mould the whole wingtip in clear rather than just providing the lights and lenses as clear? I suppose all will be revealed later in the build.

One interesting side effect of having a clear wingtip is that you get to see how the Tamiya Extra Thin glue wicks into the joins. You can see how far the glue has gone into the joins in the wingtip assembly on the right in the photo below (the bright bit is where the glue didn’t get to)…

 

 

 

Motoring along with fitting up the fuselage now… The air brake doors go on.

 

 

 

And underneath is the tail bumper. In real life this is a wheel, and the bumps either side are HDU spotlights that light up the underside of the aircraft.

 

 

 

With the glue dried in the wingtip assemblies, it’s time to fit the wingtips.

These are a slide fit into the main wing assembly and on my build I found they didn’t quite go in all the way. Removing the part shown in red below solved the problem and the wingtips could be pushed fully home.

 

 

 

Although the wingtips are a very good fit, I noticed the leading edges could be bent out of line. So I clamped on a peg to hold the leading edge straight while the glue dried.

 

 

 

The rear tail cone is a simple two part assembly that goes together nicely and is a reasonable fit on the rear of the fuselage.

 

 

 

Here’s a little job that I have been putting off for too long – painting the engine compressor blades.

The reason I’ve been putting it off is because I’ve really been enjoying a kit that is (so far) 95% assembly and 5% painting. It’s been nice to not have to reach for the airbrush at every step.

Anyway, these parts are required before I can close up the wing assembly so that got a coat of Alclad 2 White Aluminium.

 

 

 

Before the compressor blades were installed onto the rear of the intakes I gave the intakes a blast with neat white Tamiya flat white.

To be honest it would have been easier to do this before the intakes were installed into the wing assembly, but I got a bit carried away with assembly 😉

 

 

 

The compressor blades fit nicely on the rear of the intake assembly.

 

 

 

Before I close up the wings there are four 1mm holes to drill to facilitate the mounting of the (optional) underwing slipper tanks.

 

 

 

There is an option on the underside to model the AAPU intake open or closed. Because I’m modelling this one with everything closed up I’m going to go for the closed option.

 

 

 

The underside of the wing is an Ok fit. No perfect but Ok.

As usual when working on large seams I glue up the bits that fit perfectly first, and when they are dried I move onto clamping and gluing the next bit, and so on.

Here you can see I’m gluing the area where the pegs are, the area under the intake will be clamped and glued next.

 

 

 

As you can see there is a bit of a gap under the intakes. This can be mostly eliminated by clamping during the gluing process…

 

 

 

A couple of pegs sorts out the worst of the gap.

 

 

 

Moving onto the wing root joint, the blue peg is pulling the wing into the fuselage, and the yellow peg is ensuring that the lower wing panel closes up nicely with the upper wing assembly.

 

 

 

Here she is in one of many stages of peg rotation…

 

 

 

Ok, time to finish off the cockpit…

The instrument panel, coaming and controls are a pretty simple affair.

There are a couple of nasty ejector pin marks right in the middle of the instrument panel. Here I’ve scraped them flat using a 2mm Trumpeter chisel.

 

 

 

The coaming and controls are sprayed with Tamiya flat black, with the instrument panel getting a coat of Tamiya XF-54 Dark Sea Grey.

While I had the XF-54 loaded up in the airbrush I also added a bit of fading to the coaming.

 

 

 

And to finish them off a mild dry brushing with Citadel Necron Compound (silver dry brushing paint).

 

 

 

And here’s the instrument panel assembly completed with decals applied.

 

Next Update: Final jobs on the fuselage before getting ready for paint…

Thanks for visiting!

I write this blog for fun, to share what I've learned, and to share my builds with you. If you like what you see here please leave a comment, and head over to facebook and like my page!

Cheers - Rich