1/72 Airfix Grumman Duck (Murphy’s War) – Build Log

6th February 2014

I’ve done a fair bit of cosmetic work this week, it seems to have been a week of many layers…

I got myself a Tamiya weathering kit the other week, between you and me I think these used to be sold in Boots as Abba eye-liner kits back in the 70’s but I’m all for a bit of recycling (as long as it doesn’t involve a bike).

[1]

For my first stab I thought I’d have a go at dirtying up the “sandwich toaster” affair near the nose… I masked it up (being extremely careful not to burnish the tape down over my lovely lettering this time) and gave it a bit of a dust over with the supplied make-up applicator.

By the way, at this stage I’ve applied 3 coats of Humbrol Matt Cote – hence the dulled down finish…

[2]

It didn’t turn out exactly how I had in mind, but not bad for a first go – and there will be plenty more weathering going on later so not a bad start…

Next it was time for what is probably my least favourite and simultaneously most favourite part of a build – the wash……

Least favourite because for a short while one’s beloved model looks like this:

[3]

Most favourite because after morning prayers and a small sacrifice to the weathering gods (Chocolate hob-knobs work best) you end up with this:

[5]

Well, you may not end up with a grubby Grumman Duck, but you do end up with instant second-hand-ness (which I like) 🙂

Incidentally before applying the wash, the Duck had another coat of Klear to restore a glossy finish. I didn’t want to put the wash over a matt coat as it would have been too strong an effect.

[4]

[6]

After that was another couple of coats of Klear to seal it all in…

And then another wash…

[7]

This light wash was a homebrew wash made from grey chalk pastel dust, water and fairy liquid. I really need to get around to buying a bottle of Uncle Phil’s magic concrete wash.

I have to say that this wash didn’t really work out as planned. The idea was to try to add some of that dried on sea salt look, but because the home made wash dries a bit like mud and doesn’t wipe off in a very subtle way the effect wasn’t that good. So as a result I took 95% of it off and just left a few subtle areas which you probably won’t see in the photo…

[8]

In the above shot, I’ve sealed the wash in with Humbrol Matt Cote as I want a matt finish for the next stage – pigments…

I used to think pigments were some kind of porky snack until I discovered chalk pastels…

[9]

Here I’ve applied some home-brew light grey pigments to the panel lines and panels to get towards that dusty salty look.

You have to use the hard chalk pastels and not the soft oil pastels, simply scrape the pastel with a blade and collect the resulting dust in a suitable dish. Then pick up some chalk pastel dust on a fine brush and lightly dust it onto the surface of the model.

The trick is sealing it in without washing it away with the clear coat. I’ve had a few goes at this and twice have achieved a really nice dusty look only to end up washing it completely away by spraying the clear coat on too heavily. Light misty coats from 12″ away seems to work best, even then I’m not sure how much of this will survive until the end 😉

I’ve also been working on the struts and floats, and will be finishing off the weathering in anticipation of getting the upper wing installed and then time to think about rigging and getting the engine painted and fitted.

Thanks for visiting!

I write this blog for fun, to share what I've learned, and to share my builds with you. If you like what you see here please leave a comment, and head over to facebook and like my page!

Cheers - Rich



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*