1/72 Airfix Grumman Duck (Murphy’s War) – Build Log

28th January 2014

Here’s a few shots of the paintwork so far…

As I mentioned before the cockpit masking gave me a headache, but in the end I decided to paint the inside of the canopy framework, then masked the open cockpit using paper and Maskol…
[116]

For the paintwork, the Duck in the film is pretty dusty and beaten up…

[1b]

So that’s the effect I’m going to try for…

My first approach to pre-shading was to use a dark base colour with white highlighting along the panel lines. My rationale being that in the movie the panel lines are brighter than the panels, so more a case of pre-highlighting than pre-shading.

I gave her a coat of Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue…

[28]

Yep, apparently that’s sea blue and that’s pretty much how it looked in the flesh. Now I don’t know what sea Tamiya tend to paddle in, but if it looks like that they should consider wearing Wellington boots 😉

Anyway, I thought that having a dark base colour with white highlighting would give me the result I wanted but as it happened I ended up having to lay down so much blue that the effect got lost. I learned that by using less contrast between base coat and highlight (or shading) you need less top coat and can get subtler shading.

I did a quick U-turn and re-painted with a much lighter gray…

[38]

Then on with the highlighting using Tamiya flat white…

[47]

I went pretty heavy on the highlighting with the intention of covering most of it up. What I was aiming for was as much tonal variation as possible for the end product. Most of this is going to get covered up…

Before the first coat of blue went down, I hairsprayed the bottom of the float in preparation for chipping later…

[57]

I chose L’Oreal because I’m worth it!

The hair spray was sprayed into the plastic container, and the resulting goo was then poured into the airbrush so I could apply it with the air brush. I did a test the other day spraying straight from the can onto a model and it was totally uncontrollable.Here’s the first coat of blue (Tamiya XF-8)

[67]

I purposefully stopped laying down colour well before the highlighting started to get covered. As with all things creative I like to let my eyes rest a bit so that I can see things with fresh eyes. I left it for a couple of hours and came back to it so that I could more easily see how much further it needed to be tamed down…

Another coat of XF-8 and the highlighting is looking less bonkers…

[77]

After that a bit of post shading with darker tones (XF8 toned down with XF17 Sea “Blue”), and lighter tones done with XF2 Flat White mixed with a bit of XF8.

[87]

Also note the dirty great splosh of dark paint over the middle of the upper wing *Doh!*. As I said, just really happy that it missed the main fuselage!!!

And finally for today, the upper wing paint damage repaired and a few more blending coats of light and dark tones…

[98]

It’s been a good day today! So will quit while I’m ahead and am going to sleep on it and see how it looks with fresh eyes tomorrow.

Thanks for visiting!

I write this blog for fun, to share what I've learned, and to share my builds with you. If you like what you see here please leave a comment, and head over to facebook and like my page!

Cheers - Rich



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*