19th December 2014
T-Minus 5 Days, and counting…
Yup, just 5 more days to get this finished before Christmas! It’s getting to the stage where I need to make a plan because I’m going to be limited on the number of times I can leave this overnight waiting for coats of this and that to dry.
Since the last update I got the acrylic rod anti wonking brackets installed, and have pretty much got the whole fuselage finished and ready for paint.
She’s been filled, sanded, re-scribed. Has had the wings glued into a fixed position, and also the horizontal stabilisers fitted.
So that’s pretty much it as far as bodywork goes, next step will be to get Mav and Goose ready for flight, get them seated in the cockpit and glue on the canopy ready for getting some paint down.
Speaking of Mav & Goose…
For some reason the pilots were modelled with their feet very close together, too close together for their legs to fit either side of the central pillar in the cockpit.
So a little surgery is required to get their legs into the correct position. Ok, from the point of view of the pilots, having one’s legs removed an fitted back on with Super Glue is going to be pretty major, but for us, I promise it won’t hurt a bit!
Then it was Mav’s turn…
They both had a coat of Tamiya XF-66 Light Grey airbrushed on as a primer.
In the background you can see some of the enamels I’ll be using to paint the pilots with. I much prefer enamels for brush painting as they don’t dry as soon as you dip the brush in them, and they give a very nice brush mark free finish.
On the left of shot is Humbrol Matt Flesh (61). I don’t know what kind of flesh they’ve based this on, it looks more like “Faded Space Hopper” than “Flesh”. I’m going to make it a bit paler by mixing in a bit of the buff colour to the right of it.
For their harnesses and vest I mixed up a dark green, their boots (which won’t be seen) were painted with Citadel Abbadon Black (simply because it is easier to open Citadel paint tubs than Humbrol enamel tins).
To bring out some highlights I mixed up a pale green (as can be seen on top of the upturned pot of Tamiya paint). This was dry brushed over their overalls and equipment.
Then they had a coat of Citadel Agrax Earthshade, which is a nice browny wash.
I also ran a bit of black paint around the edges of their helmets to get rid of any overpainting of Flesh.
And then with much holding of breath and a 0000 brush I attempted to do a decal job of their bone dome lids.
Next job, fitting the likely lads into the Tomcat, attaching the canopy and starting to paint!