16th December 2013
Here’s another update on my 5 year mission to boldly buy cleaning products where no self respecting man has gone before…
I’ve got quite a lot done since the last update, have put in a lot of hours trying to get her finished for the Christmas day deadline. Unfortunately not too much to show for my efforts as it’s mainly been glazing, sanding, filling, much painting of flat greyness and a load of microcontroller programming…
Gotta say I got a full set of Flory Models sanding sticks prior to sanding the saucer, and what a transformation they made to the job. If anything they sand too well and I have to stop myself going too far with them 😉 A great bit of kit and a real time saver when sanding!
Here’s a few pics of the state of play at the moment…
I started working on the secondary hull, which mainly consisted of fitting the glass (this kit is like a self build greenhouse in places). The Revel instructions call for the clear glass to be back painted in white and for the darkened windows to be painted in black:
Seeing as I’m lighting this kit I won’t be painting the white windows (Colour B in the instructions), and I felt sure that if I just back painted the darkened windows in black (Colour C) then the light would refract inside the glass and illuminate the windows that are supposed to be black.
So I decided to cut the window parts up and isolate the darkened windows so that they can be painted black around all their edges, totally light blocking them.
I made sure the blackened out windows are well isolated from the others by trimming off the connecting glass between them.
In the above pic the illuminated windows have been sanded on their backs to cause them to give a diffuse light, the one that are to be blackened have been left clear as sanding will have no effect once they are back painted with black.
Here’s the isolated and light blocked glass after PVA’ing in place and having 3 heavily brushed coats of Tamiya Flat Black.
Rinse and repeat for the rest of the secondary hull parts…
Again this was quite time consuming as pretty much every glass part had to have the sides of the window panes sanded to fit, and also the backs had to be sanded to make them opaque, removing any sink marks (one per pane) 😉
I managed to get the first engine nacelle lights wired up to the microcontroller last week, and gave them a test spin. They looked just right but I was unable to get a video of them in action as my phone decided to pack up and I had nothing to video them with… So I’ll have to see if I can get a video up of the spinning lights in action once I get the nacelles onto the secondary hull.
Still, I did get the second engine nacelle LED array built and tested, and both LED arrays have been installed into the nacelles.
As you can see above, they’re currently masked and being painted, so shouldn’t be long before they’re in place on the secondary hull.
The saucer is now complete – all filled and painted. Gotta say Humbrol Maskol saved my life with masking some of the windows that got a bit close to the touch up area.
So next up will be finishing off a bit of painting and hopefully not far from attaching the saucer and engines to the secondary hull (complete with lighting) and then it can be powered up in it’s final form…
As I mentioned, I did a load of coding last week to get the flashing lights all working simultaneously. I’ll post the source code here once I’ve got a video up of it in action (the code will be more relevant then), I’ll also post the code to the microcontroller forum in case anyone wants a copy of it to use/modify etc… I’ll go into more depth on the programming side of the Arduino in a future post.