1/48 Tamiya BAe Sea Harrier FRS.1 – Build Log

13th April 2014

I’ve decided to give this build a bit of a hammering to see if I can get past all the fixing up, and onto some assembly and paint.

Oh, yes – after I’ve done the re-scribe 😉

Ah well, tis a fair bit more work then so here’s the latest progress…

 

I got the second intake filed up, making the mistake of trying to do fiddly work when tired. I over did the filing on a couple of bits and had to repair them with a bit of perfect putty.  I also scribed around the doors so that when they have a wash at the end they look like doors and not just part of the intake.

1

 

The cockpit is finished and installed, I gave the grey surround a light ink wash to add a bit of interest to it.

As for the seat, I’m calling it done. It looks nothing like a SHAR ejection seat but once Sharkey’s in there and the lid is on it won’t be too noticeable.

2

 

I’m just about to fit the intakes, and they’ll need to be painted later. This will create the risk of the engine fan blades also getting painted so I’ve taken a tip from Kevin McWilliams build log of the same kit and put some paper inside the intakes which will be removed later – cheers Kevin! 🙂

3

 

Here’s the intakes in place, they didn’t fit too badly considering the overall quality of the kit but as expected there is going to be some filling/sanding to do. To make this as easy as possible I decided to locate the intakes so they lined up best at the top where the auxiliary intake doors are. That way the filling/sanding will take place underneath the intakes where there is less detail to worry about.

4

 

Here’s a shot of the underside, you can see the paper I’m using for masking the engine is easily accessible via the front wheel well for when I need to remove it.

Also you can see a small step where the intakes are too small. I’ll just sand the fuselage down flush with the intakes and re-scribe.

5

 

The canopy frame has had a coat of Tamiya Nato Black and a small bit of medium grey.

6

 

And the canopy attached to the frame with some good old school glue PVA… I’ll probably add a bit of interest to the inside of the frame with a silver pencil before fitting it to the fuselage.

7

 

Ok the final stage with operation Cockpit is to sort out Sharkey himself.

In keeping with the general “Friday Afternoon” quality of the kit, the pilot figurine is softly moulded and was sculpted by Picaso’s over-rated younger brother.

I gave the figurine a good honing and tried to restore some detail with a sharp pointy scalpel blade.

The photo below shows before on the left and after on the right.

The main thing you can see in this photo is the difference around the edge of the visor.

8

 

And another before/after shot, here you can see I’ve changed the shape of the lower edge of the visor to be more like the real thing, and have also added detail around the face, around the edges of the helmet and a fair bit of plastic has been removed around the neck and oxygen mask.

9

 

For the painting of Sharkey I’ve taken some tips from Ralf Scheid’s excellent “Modelling Figures – how to do it…” tutorial thread – cheers Ralf!

First of all a coat of Tamiya flat black. This will act as primer and also as the shadow colour…

BTW I glues Sharkey onto a bit of stout sprue with CA glue to make him easier to hold. I’ll snap it off when done.

10

 

Next up a dusting of Tamiya flat white which was sprayed from above to lighten up the highlight areas, and leave the shaded areas dark… This will act as pre-shading for the base colour…

11

 

For the base colour I used a very thin mix of Tamiya Dark Green 2 (RAF) XF-81 with a bit of XF-17 Sea Blue to darken it a bit.

12

 

 

Then the remaining details were picked out with Humbrol Enamels. I like enamels for brush painting detail as they flow really nicely and don’t dry up on you as fast as acrylics.

13

 

Using a fine brush I picked out the “RN” letters on the back of the helmet – the letters appear in a lot of the video reference footage I’ve watched.

14

 

After the above base coats of colour had been applied, I gave him a coat of Humbrol Satin Cote and then a strong ink wash.

After that was a coat of Humbrol Matt Cote, and the visor was painted using Humbrol Gloss Black Enamel.

15

16

Thanks for visiting!

I write this blog for fun, to share what I've learned, and to share my builds with you. If you like what you see here please leave a comment, and head over to facebook and like my page!

Cheers - Rich



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*