13th May 2014
Right, in this update I think I have pretty much completed the scribing and riveting on the SHAR! I say “think” because to be honest, I’ve been fettling this fuselage for so long that I can no longer remember my name or which 17th century political party I am the leader of…
I decided to give myself a little holiday on this kit, and instead of engraving lines and curves I thought it might be fun to put on a knotted hankie and go on a hole drilling spree.
It seems that the SHAR has intakes. A lot of intakes. In fact if it had any more intakes of one variety or another it would fall apart due to consisting mainly of intakes. It has the main “Elephant Ear” intakes at the front. These are surrounded by lots of little square auxiliary intakes. Then there’s the NACA ducts on the side of the fuselage behind the auxiliary intakes. Just in case things aren’t getting intakey enough, there is a little intake at each wing root and then moving backwards even the vertical stabiliser has an intake at its base!
First one to be tackled was the intake at the base of the vertical stabiliser… Here it is looking rather blanked off…
And here again, looking like an intake!
I drilled out a hole in the centre of the area to be removed with a small drill in a pin chuck, the rest of the meat was removed using mini needle files…
Moving forward you can see here that the wing root is a decidedly intake free zone.
Not any more, a quick hole drilling session and the intake count has risen by two.
(There is also one on the other side).
Well, I enjoyed that – but all good things come to and end. Back to the scribing…
Here’s the tail section (starboard side) after re-scribing and riveting.
On the very bottom of the tail (underneath) you might be able to see some lines that have been filled with Mr Surfacer (dark grey lines). This was caused by me trying to work when tired, causing me to try and cut corners.
One thing I find with scribing is that unless you’re scribing on a nice flat surface i.e. a wing surface, it’s worth taking your time to get the scribing guide or template lined up and securely fixed before scribing.
Here I had tried to manually hold a straight edge against the edge of the lower fin, and it moved before I started the scribe.
Next time around I took a little more time to set myself up and used a bit of white tack and masking tape to hold the straight edge in place.
And the port side scribing…
The riveting has been done with an MDC tool – #1 for the small rivets and #4 for the larger ones.
All the rivets were done freehand as I find the riveting templates are fine for flat surfaces, but for curved and small areas freehand is the way to go.
Here’s the port side nose area fully re-scribed and riveted (in and around panels).
I also did some freehand riveting on the canopy frame with the #0 MDC tool.
The existing raised detail around the nose cone has been left in place as this is raised detail on the real thing.
Port side detail behind the auxiliary intakes…
The NACA duct (the almost triangular recess to the right of the auxiliary intakes) was carved out freehand using a 1mm Trumpeter chisel – a great bit of kit!
The riveting inside the panels was again done freehand. The easiest way to do this is to place a rivet in each corner of the panel, and then put a rivet in the centre of each edge. Then put rivets between the rivets and you end up with them being (fairly) evenly spaced. (I hope that makes sense – feel free to shout if not) 🙂
And finally for this update a view of the canopy after a bit of riveting. I don’t know how well this will show after painting so it’s a bit of an experiment at this stage.
Next update – might involve paint of some kind…
In the meantime I’m just going to sit here and rock backwards and forwards.