30th July 2015
Ok, having recovered from last week’s episode of Fifty Shades of Silver where I ended up earning a lifetime achievement award for services to silver paint sales…
Having left the Tamiya Smoke pre-shading overnight, it looked a little strong in the morning with fresh eyes and fresh coffee.
In the top centre of this photo it’s gone on a bit heavy…
And in the photo below the pre-shading got a bit heavy on the panel line leading away from the wheel well.
It’s not too heavy, but enough to make me think “That looks a bit heavy”. In which case it leads me on to think “If I can see the pre-shading is too heavy I can either make it less heavy, I can leave it and hope no-one notices, or I can re-spray the bottom for a fourth time.”. The latter thought made me twitch so I dropped that idea and decided to see if I could knock back the shading a smidge.
Note: 1 smidge is about the same as 3.4 snerds. Snerds being the SI units for how overdone something is. When I’m cooking I find it more convenient to measure in kilo-snerds.
I gave the pre-shading a mild rub over with the blue side of a Flory polishing sponge, this removed a bit of the Smoke and though it’s probably hard to see in the photo below it knocked the pre-shading back just about enough.
Again, hard to see the difference in the photo below, but I feel better knowing that I gave it some attention.
Before moving onto the decaling, it was time to give the model a really good coat of looking at. A serious session of scrutineering with the Mk.1 eyeball to seek out any dings, scratches, over-sprays, under-sprays, mis-sprays, nasal-sprays – you name it.
On the left side of the intake as you look at the photo below, the line between the camo and the silver has gone a bit astray after the various re-sprays, so that will need to be masked up a bit and touched in.
And on the other side the same, also the camo on the lip of the intake has gone a bit vague. That’ll need a touch up too.
I also noticed a bit of an under-spray inside the starboard intake – that will need a touch of green in it.
And on the rear starboard side of the fuselage I rubbed a bit too hard with a polishing sponge while rubbing down the paint line between the upper and lower colours. I’ll blow over that while I’m at it.
Ok, nearly decal time…
But not so fast!
The wing tips (which I spent way too long fettling and scribing and riveting) have a red chequer pattern over them. Decals are provided for this purpose, but looking at them they are so thick that they will totally obscure all that lovely detail I spent so long re-creating.
So instead of decals for the wing tips, I’m going to paint them on.
Using a pair of callipers I measured the wing tip decals and transposed the dimensions onto the wing tip, the required area was masked off with de-tacked Tamiya tape.
The same for the underside of the wing tip.
The wing tips were painted white (a light coat of Tamiya flat white).
And then to create the red chequer pattern, I found that 6mm Tamiya tape was almost exactly the same width as the chequers.
I say almost because when I laid sections of tape side by side along the area to be masked, I ended up with a gap of about 2mm at either end. If I had a brain and any kind of forward planning skills I would have masked the white area to be exactly 7 x 6mm wide. But nevermind, it won’t be glaringly obvious when she’s finished…
The reason for applying tape strips next to each other is so that the intermediate ones can then be removed, leaving the required masking in place with nice even and square spacing.
The gaps at each end have been covered over with some spare bits of tape in the photo below.
Turning to the underside of the wing tip, the same process was applied but this time tape was removed opposite the locations of the tape on top of the wing tip in order to create the chess board pattern.
A few coats of Tamiya flat red later and the masking could be removed…
Leaving a nice red and white chess board that doesn’t obliterate the riveting or panel line details…
Even the extra wide squares (rectangles) at each end almost look like they were designed 😉
Next job: All the touch-ups and wing tip painting will get a good coat of Klear before the decals go down 🙂