21st April 2014
It’s been a few weeks since my last update on the Viper Pit, the SHAR build has been taking most of my attention recently. But feeling the need for a change of scenery I thought I’d give the cockpit a bit more TLC…
Where the seat is open at the back (and visible if you look behind it) I wanted to paint and weather up the interior of the seat and the ejection gun before assembling it. This has made the build a bit tricky because you can’t just build it then paint it, you need to paint as you go. So it’s been a bit tricky working out the best sequence to build it in.
Anyway, I got the main seat components painted, and before proceeding they all got a good coat of Klear. I also did the front coaming while I was at it as this is in need of some decals which will need to go over a clear coat.
When the Klear had dried (overnight) I gave the seat interior and ejection gun a good dose of Flory dark dirt wash. When dry it was wiped off in places using a damp cotton bud and then given a coat of Humbrol Satin Cote to seal it all in.
With the interior of the seat completed, it was time to close up the seat by fitting the seat front and the headrest components…
The seat components were a reasonable fit. Here you can see a dirty great fingerprint at the top of the seat backrest. It doesn’t matter how careful I am with Mr Cement-S, it seems that somehow it will find a seam to run down and when you go to let go of the model you get that sticky feeling under thumb that means you’ve just glued your finger to the kit 😉 Just to make things equal I got a great big fingerprint on the back of the set too. Not to worry, more painting is required at this stage anyway 🙂
The biggest seams were given a going over with Perfect Plastic Putty and given a couple of hours to dry.
The PPP was sanded back and two coats of Mr Surfacer 500 applied over the seams. This was left overnight to harden before being wet sanded.
Below is the seat after wet sanding and ready for some more paint.
Turning my attention back to the coaming, this had been previously painted with Tamiya Flat Black and then highlighted with a bit of Tamiya Nato Black.
It then had a dry brushing with light grey and a bit of silver before being given a couple of coats of Klear.
The Klear had the effect of blending in a lot of the shading, so I’ll be adding a bit more post shading later.
Various decals were applied, and some of the instrument lights were picked out with Tamiya flat red.
I tried using MicroSol on the decals but it wasn’t man enough for them. A drop of Solvaset soon had the decals scurrying for the crevices and got them nicely bedded down.
Below you can see the front coaming/hud assembly after a coat or two of Humbrol Matt Cote. That stuff is excellent at creating a very flat finish, but it has made the whole assembly look a bit uniform in terms of texture.
To perk it up a bit I’m going to selectively apply some different textures of clear coat here and there. The HUD assembly is going to get a coat of Humbrol Gloss Cote – here it is masked and ready for coating…
Here it is after the HUD assembly has had a coat of gloss. I avoided spraying some parts of it to help break up the textures. It’s a subtle effect but you should be able to see that the HUD assembly looks a bit blacker than before.
I also sprayed a bit of gloss cote along the raised areas of the coaming to further add to the difference in texture.
Some of the decals look a bit factory fresh, but I’ll look at that aspect of it as a whole once the whole model has been built.
And finally for this update, here it is with the HUD lense and glass installed…